Wednesday 10 February 2016

CHAPTER LVII. GREATNESS


   The hill was dusty, treeless, bald, a paradox in that glory of the lake. Somewhat away from the shore on the north side, the same water which gave life to its neighbouring hills seemed to neglect the scarce shrubs that still resisted in its slopes. There were few trees, but he chose an old elm tree with big shade and sat down to reflect. Armand Protch needed to find himself. He wasn’t sure at all of his future in life and he believed he was old enough to know. It was little more than a month ago that he had been 18 and it was now the end of September of the year 45.


   It wasn’t so clear for him as for his friend Peter Matts, who had dropped out and had been working as a mechanic with the help of his uncle Brandon, and hoped one day he would become a taxi driver as he. His friends Paul and Kirsten were good students and often told him of their desire to go to College one day. And his sister Crystelle, with the help of his mother, had found time in the afternoons after getting out of school to learn nursing in the Frederick Rage Association. There was something in that. He wouldn't like working with his bands or with syringes, but he'd like to do something for the others. He should meditate seriously what he was going to do with his life and reflect on that and as he wanted to reflect on that but did not find himself strong, he began to remember the last months full with events. But then it came to his head his parents’ separation. He would not think about that. Better go back to June, to the wedding of Peter's uncle.

    Anne-Marie Beaulière and Brandon Jones had spent years not believing in marriage but always knowing that they belonged to each other, but now, already in their forties, had taken the decision to marry. His friend Nike - his old friend Nick, he smiled-, confessed that he had rarely entered the Basilica, but that morning of late May the interior looked splendid and warm. Of course they had invited the seven and although it was his boss, but also friend, she had not forgotten his father and all his family. Also his uncle Herbert came. Now with a cane he walked now with so much difficulty that he went only to the wedding feast, fortunately in the house of a cousin of Brandon’s in Northchapel. It was obvious he was somewhat depressed but that day he managed to conceal his sadness. He was sitting with his friends Rosa and James, opposite Samuel Weissmann and his daughter Joan and so close to Kirsten that he heard her laugh often with his still boyfriend Peter. It was a custom. All their life they had been dating, but she was distracted listening to Nigel, whom she used to call father-in-law. They spoke of Egyptian gods. But soon he lost the thread of the conversation when he heard Samuel Weissmann suddenly speaking with Nike and his beloved three.

─ "Maybe this is not the best time to tell you this, Nike. Anyway, the time has come. Look, Susan and I are now octogenarians. We don't know how much time is left for us, but we have thought of coming back to Boston, where both of us have a lot of family. My children are here. Joan will remain on the Thuban and Susan and Samuel already have made their life with their families. We would come from time to time, at least I, because I have very good friends in this city."

─ "Holy heaven, Samuel. I am now speechless. We are going to miss you a lot."- said Nike.

─ "I have three children and with you I have come to have even eight more, because I’ve liked you so much, and among them I cannot deny that I have had favorite children, my beloved three. In my remainder of life I will remember you, and your children."

─ "And they will remember you, Samuel - Lucy said-, they will always remember their Uncle Sam, as they both call you".

─ "Thank you, Lucy. What happiness to have met you. You've been a lighthouse that so many times has illuminated me with your powerful light and a focus of splendid clarity which illuminated enough the reflection of the two men who, after my son, I have loved most. Therefore, what can I tell you at this time, Luke? I still remember that evening in which my still employee Nike introduced me shaken to a good friend at the doors of the bar The Silversmith. And first him and later you were teaching me that there are other things in life besides ambition. That accumulating money may be fine, but there are other circumstances that can fill you. And besides your friendship, you have given me a star and every summer I became entranced looking at Altair. With you I have learned the motifs by Verôme and even the gods. And I don't know how much I can still live, but as long as I live, I will come to Hazington to see my children and to greet you all."

─ "It is a pleasure to have been so many years with a man like you – Luke told him-, who has abundantly shown me that friendship has no barriers. When will you go?"

─ "Within a week. I intended to say goodbye to everyone in your outskirt and I will go there one day to see it for the last time. But you are all here, and I will now begin to say goodbye to the others. But before that let me thank you, Nike, for the great friendship that you have shown me all these years."

─ "Thank you, Sam."

   He thought that he, Armand Protch, had also been a friend for Nike’s and his father’s friends, and he would miss Samuel Weissmann, who in the end had words of affection towards him in his farewell.

   The wedding was a warm reunion with many friends in which Anne-Marie, now Anne-Marie Jones, had a beauty of mother-of-pearl mirror and her husband Brandon was the light that was reflected.

   It was only two days later when his uncle Herbert had a stroke. He already was with real difficulties for everything and although his Aunt Maude cared for him and he was docile and did not create her problems, he complained sometimes of the indignity in which life had placed him. His sister and he went to Deanforest, the home of his aunt and uncle, every day. One of those evenings he found Nike, who talked to him.

─ "Really the sooner I go, the better."

─ "Don't say that, Herbert."

─ "I have always wanted Maude to survive me. I've been very happy, Nike. So many years at her side and loving each other until the last day. And thanks to you, I've had even grandchildren. Sorry for Paul and Kirsten, but you've taught me that life is a cycle and I've already finished mine. Now I want to go soon."

─ "We all have to go, Herbert, but no hurry. In any situation there can be dignity."

─ "I have always liked you a lot, Nike. Both in your childhood in Siddeley Priory as in your second life in the Torn Hand. And it still moves me to remember those two weeks in which you came to tell me your story and I was still Protch. Until finally you called me Herbert and let me know your wife, your husband, your fellow mates and mainly your children. I can at least say goodbye to you, because I feel that now I have few more days. I've been very happy. Goodbye, Nike. And don't you cry now, Armand."-He said.

    And in the end he left as he had wanted to leave, without disturbing, in a very short time. It was on June 10. Maude found him dead in bed. She telephoned Richard, who told everyone in the outskirt. His nephews Armand and Crystelle and his grandchildren Paul and Kirsten were fountains also at his funeral, a day in which the summer wanted to anticipate and wear its best clothes. Nike was all the time next to Maude, who could hardly stand but was able to tell him.

─ "This is what he wanted. If I had gone first, he would not have survived even two days. Dear Herbert. I don't know how I can continue without him, but we have a few grandchildren and a few nephews and I'll stay withered here to help them in any way possible."

   Those days Olivia was constantly, day and night, next to his aunt. Of course his parents, his sister Crystelle and he visited her daily. And there each evening he could find Lucy and Luke, but mainly Nike. One of those evenings, upon arrival, Olivia left and her aunt was alone with Nike. He thought that she, a week later, wanted to talk with his friend and he didn't know whether he should stand up or continue one little longer. So they talked about other things while they looked at him clearly as if they wanted to sit alone.

─ Now the Polar Star has no longer the shine of Arcturus. The two bears have lost their guardian."

─ "But they still know their place because the brightness of Gemma persists, shining powerful in that same north."

   They didn’t know what to talk about and Armand ended up finding an excuse to leave the room. He recalled that he had a book he had only half read and that it was in the library.

─ "I still don't know who the murderer of The Name of the Rose is. I'm going to read a while, for I'm dying of curiosity."

   All in the outskirt had read it, even the not habitual readers Bruce or Miguel, with another copy that James Prancitt had lent them. And they also devoured Foucault’s Pendulum, another masterpiece by Umberto Eco, hard to read but that when you finish reading it you say "it has been a pleasure". With both novels perhaps Eco had made historical novel fashionable. It was contradictory that there was fashion literature, such as clothing, disposable literature. And others enriched themselves writing supposedly original ideas already mentioned in The Pendulum.

   But Armand did not go to the library. He was too interested in knowing what Nike and his aunt wanted to talk about. And he was far from expecting to hear what he heard.

─ "This morning - said Maude - Gerald Rivers was here. He brought me a copy of the will. Not knowing why, because Herbert did not have all that money, I am the heir to a fortune. And I have assumed that you know something, my dear Nike."

─ "The money from the Siddeley is inexhaustible. It always surprised me, when years ago I told you what I had done with my money; you believed that with the building of Earthkings I got rid of all the money I had. But you asked me no further questions and I was grateful. Of course I could not leave Paul and Kirsten in the lurch and they are Siddeley after all. They will have millions when they are of age. But what could I do with the rest? Look, Maudie. My life is insecure, constantly surrounded by hunger and cold. I could have gone before you. But if it wasn't so, I had nobody else to bequeath my money to, for I wouldn’t bequeath it to my fellow mates who would never touch my money, but you, and I had a clause in my will so that all the money would finally go to the survivor of you two."

─ "I found much more than I need. Look, my cousin Selma has also recently been widowed. We went together to the school and we like each other very much. I was thinking even to accept her suggestion to go with her to a house she has in Inverness. I have to think twice, because here I have my nephews and grandchildren. But being now an octogenarian, what could I expect? I understand the reasons which guided you one day, but what would I do with all that money?"

─ "In any case, Maudie, I don't want to have it back. I assure you that my children will have more than enough. They even sleep now in their homes of Washington Street. If you do not want it, bequeath it to someone in your family."

─ "The few relatives I have, like my cousin Selma, are already elderly. In any case, although he is not my blood family, I've always appreciated Richard as a son."

─ "Give it to Richard."

─ "I suppose you know that things are not good for Richard lately."

─ "He will know what to do with it and he also has two children. Armand and Crystelle may need it.

  To Armand, who had heard it all, suddenly seemed that a volcano was suddenly moving the Earth where he was. The money from the Siddeley could end up in his hands. And not just the money. His Aunt Maude still had something to say.

─ "And if I go to Inverness, Nike... I guess you don't want to own Deanforest again. Maybe for your children..."

─ "My children, I remind you again, already have a house each. No, Maudie. I left Deanforest a long time ago. And if you go, here could live comfortably your nephew and niece."

─ "If I stay in Hazington, I will end up withering. I would go to live with Selma without hesitation if I didn't have here two grandchildren, a niece and a nephew. But it is also true that as long as I have health, a plane from time to time would solve the problem, and I would come to see you all. And also Paul, Kirsten, Armand and Crystelle can so often go to Inverness. In short, Nike, whether I go or not, tell Gerald Rivers to come here one day. I want to make a new will."

   In a matter of a month, his father was called by lawyers to make him the owner of a small fortune. But money could not relieve his pains and it ended up in the hands of his children. Years ago Richard Protch had made a will with Gerald Rivers and Armand found himself suddenly the owner of Deanforest, shared with his sister, and owner of a huge capital with which he did not know what to do.

   Because his father wanted nothing. Now he had no choice but to meditate on his parents’ crisis. Armand had always known Stuart Grainger. He was also a cook in the Frederick Rage Association, where his mother worked, and was an old friend of both. He also flirted with drugs in his youth, but now he had a calm vision of things and a peaceful harmony. Smiling, frank, sometimes hesitant but always accurate, jovial and thoughtful. But he could not like him. He had been guilty of the separation of his parents. Many times they were partying together, eating, having a drink, going to a journey together, as a good friend of the two.

   But since April he saw his mother absent and they weren't old effects of drugs. She seemed unhappy. Armand asked but never had an answer and one night, returning from the kitchen, he heard a conversation between his parents in the bedroom.

─ "It is Stuart, isn’t it?" - asked his father.

─ "I won’t lie to you, Richard. I cannot stand it anymore."

─ "Is it love?"

─ "I'm afraid it is, honey. I want to be with you all my life, and we also have two children in common. But - already desperate- I cannot stand it anymore. Oh if these things were chosen by the brain and not by the heart. I do not want to be without you."

─ "Does Stuart love you?"

─ "He does."

─ "And do you love me?"

─ "I guess I do. But I do know that I like you. I don’t want love to ruin my life. But what can I do?"

─ "I do love you. You're my wife but you do not belong to me. I have been the happiest man in the world by your side, but your heart has a new owner. Leave me. Go with him. You don’t love me anymore. It will be bitter for me, but you are the woman of my life and I can't see you thus." - He said downcast.

   It was a week later when his mother could stand it no more and left them. It was impossible to give an explanation to his children and she only spoke of temporary cessation of cohabitation, but she insisted that Richard and she liked each other very much and it would always be so. You could tell that what she had to say to her children was difficult, but he, Armand, didn’t ask any more questions. And one day she left. The house was too much for his father. The day seemed to be lengthened and there was no corner which did not remind him of Sarah. Armand saw him cry every day without respite. A week later, it was common to find him in the Outskirt of the Torn Hand. He spent the evenings there. Thus it all began. One Saturday that Lucy and Nike were on the street, he started to chat with Luke.

─ "I have known you for 16 years. Now without Sarah and since a year ago I stopped working, I cannot be without you. I hope I am not a nuisance for you, Luke."

─ "You are our friend, Richard. Here you will always be welcome. Stay to eat."

─ "It happens to me as Nike told me at the beginning. I am ashamed to share your meal without adding anything. I don't know if already with this age I could decide to do what you all have done. Meanwhile, I prefer to visit you, but returning to St Alban's Road to eat. I cannot be without Sarah and I can no longer speak of her with my waiters Luke and Nike, because I'm not there now."

─ "Not with your waiters, but here we are still your friends, and not just Luke and Nike. We're with you, Richard. Relieve yourself and tell us about Sarah."

─ "I don't know if this situation will be temporary or permanent, but I cannot be without her now."

─ "Be careful, Dad - then his son Armand told him affectionately-, because I'm remembering how Madeleine Oakes said that the ninth sign was Recognition of Acceptance or Love. You have already recognized yourself and accepted your situation and that of the others, and showing how much you love mum, you have become for me the representation of Love, with capital L."

─ "Thanks, Armand. But I have not yet recognized myself as the ninth beggar."

─ "Not yet, my friend – said Nike, who was returning with Lucy at that time – and you don’t have to be. I know that Luke must have tried to convince you to dine with us and share our bonfire. We would not be good friends if you don't feel comfortable in our house. Remember that we all have slept more than once in yours."

   And at the end Richard agreed. It was clear that he did not want that night to return home. It was too big a house for him if he slept there alone, because his children already did in Deanforest. He was all night talking to them, hearing the anecdotes Bruce told or asking Miguel about his country or his cousin Brenda Dolores. He agreed to eat that night with them and when almost everyone had gone to sleep, he asked Nike.

─ "According to what you have told me, now you three sleep again all together. Now you don’t use your country house, do you?"

─ "We use it to keep some things inside, but there’s room for one person, why?"

─ "I would like to sleep here tonight. I could not bear an empty bed in my flat of St Alban's Road. At least in the outskirt, I know that you are close to me. Could I sleep here tonight, Nike?"

─ "Of course, my friend. If you prefer our uncomfortable country house, it's yours."

   And his father slept there for five or six nights. Finally he made up his mind, he did not dare do it alone, to accompany Luke and Nike when they went to the street alone, on weekdays. And he told Armand one day a conversation he had had with Nike.

─ "I will never be like you, my friend. I will not get rid of my flat in St Alban's Road. Sarah could return and my children go there frequently. Now they sleep where your house was and they live mostly with what was your money. Owning some properties, if I decided to stay here, I just would be half a beggar."

─ "Mistress Oakes believed that my mind and hers were linked. I think that I tell you what she would tell you if I say that the ninth beggar, if you want to be, can have properties and stay with us. You're not half a beggar. And as for what was mine... years ago it is not mine. The Siddeley money has come through strange roads to the youngest Protch. Your children will know what to do with it."

   The night was dressed in shadows on the hill while Armand remembered once more how his father had stayed with them and now he had the paradox that his sister and he were millionaires, and his father was the ninth beggar. A few steps alerted him of someone approaching. He had no fears: it could be someone he knew. He soon saw that it was James Prancitt, to whom he had always called Uncle James and as Uncle James he greeted him.

─ Hello, Armand. I was going for a walk, but in reality my mind, as you can guess, was lurking San Luis Talpa."

─ "What projects do you have now, Uncle James?"

─ "We want to build a hospital between San Luis Talpa and San Pedro Nonualco. The problem is what you can imagine, the same as usual, we need a sponsor."

   A shudder began to come over him completely when he realized in the same month his father and he had found their motif by Verôme. It was in front of his eyes. His friends Rosa and James had spent their lives speaking to him of El Salvador. Armand didn't want a fortune to meet any ambition. He didn't know what to do with his life because he still had to notice that the need in which he had been educated was doing something for others and he had grown up without great desires for himself. He could talk about it with Nike, because the money had been his own and he wanted to know his opinion, but he knew that he would not object. Meanwhile he had an answer for his uncle James.

─ "I want to go to El Salvador with Aunt Rosa and you. And several hospitals can be financed, James. I will put the money that you need. But I would like to lend a hand with you and perhaps on the surroundings of San Pedro Nonualco I can find at last a desire to know what I want to do with my life."

─ "Are you sure that you will not regret, Armand? That money that once was my brother-in-law’s and his family’s now is yours and you can meditate more carefully what to do with it."

─ "I have so much, James; I can squander a little lending you a hand. You've talked to me many times that you needed a sponsor. Well, you already have one, at least for one or two projects."

   And he managed to convince him. Nike had nothing against it and reminded him that money was not his and he was glad of what Armand planned to do with it. One of those evenings his sister Crystelle told him she had decided that one day she would study chiropody. His father Richard encouraged his two children feeling very proud of them and sitting next to Nike he asked:

─ "I suppose that now that I'm more or less the ninth beggar, I can give my kids a star each."

─ "They do not belong to us, Richard and certainly nobody is going to criticize you for giving stars to your own flesh and blood."

─ "I guess that being their parent it is easy I want to give them very bright stars, but they have not yet been given. Armand has put the world on his shoulders. And Crystelle wants to help people who like her have always had any problems in their feet. The shoulder and the foot. Betelgeuse for Armand and Rigel for Crystelle.

   Betelgeuse is alpha orionis, a red giant, eastern shoulder of Orion, and east of Bellatrix. Rigel is beta orionis, the western foot, next to Saiph, the eastern foot. The Hunter had a foot to stand on and a solid shoulder with which to hold the adjacent constellations.

   Armand Protch saw that the hill was losing the last shadows of evening and becoming night dressed in a patterned skirt of light bulbs, stellar lights that the insufficient moon did not cover that night of October 1 and was also part of the drawing. As a new darkness that hung over the lake, he heard some well-known steps that approached him. It was James Prancitt.

─ Hello, Armand. I see you are very meditative. Maybe now you have repented."

─ No, Uncle James. We will build hospitals. I'll do what Aunt Rosa and you do.  

   They will take the flight to Central America on October 6.

─ "And once it is built you will fulfill yourself when you walk inside. You will enter with us, won’t you?

─ "Yes, Uncle James. I will enter."

No comments:

Post a Comment