Wednesday 10 February 2016

CHAPTER XXXI: SECOND ALLEGATION BEFORE THE RAIDERS.


   A shark shatters its victim mercilessly; it bites it and rips it. I, who had always sailed in the same temperate seas, knew well that I was now the prey and that I did not know how not to fall in their teeth, or if I fell, to set myself free. With my difficulties in walking, arm in arm with Anne-Marie, I managed somehow to enter at last that meeting of sharks, and in the end I sat at the round table where we used to have the Board of Directors Meetings. Looking at their faces I could see that what I wanted to explain to them wouldn't be necessary, that they already knew it. I was, I supposed, with an ally. Anne-Marie Beaulière that morning was gorgeous. I was not now aware of her new clothing, but she was wearing a red suit that suit her well, although this color was not the most flattering for her. But it dyed her face of an unknown passion that seemed to say that she was going to fight for me. She must at least have liked to hear Nike say that he didn't want to quit his job.


   From the faces of the other five I could deduce that morning was going to be hard, it would not be easy to make my allegation and convince them. In Samuel Weismann’s mask, as usual, couldn’t be seen a clue of what his feelings were that morning. Yesterday he seemed to want my friendship and had suggested me the heaven of Presidency. Less than 24 hours later a beggar would give him an answer. I did not know how long he would let me speak before firing me angrily. The face of Harold Blessing expressed well clearly an endless nuisance. He didn’t want to hear about his nephew, and he feared that, as I did in August, I would talk about him again. It seemed evident that Harold at least was to be against me. Even the eyes of Norman Wrathfall didn’t seem benevolent. But I must be going crazy: they suddenly reminded me of a loved one. I didn't know whether I should blame hunger, but in the last 24 hours the same thing had happened to me twice. Otherwise I couldn't help but shiver to notice him a tone really sick that morning. How old would he be? It seemed to me that he was about 80. Did Norman really intend to die at work?

  I had to sit between Walter Hope and Thaddeus Barrymore. The latter had always been for me a riddle. He could agree with my course of action or I could find him oddly against it. It was impossible to know what he thought of me before or what he would think of me this morning. I didn't even know if I would have been able to count on him had it been a working day more. Walter dared not to look at me. His silence and blush were more than eloquent. With everyone's attention on me, I sensed that about the company matters we would speak later, but that they expected to hear me as soon as possible. So as best I could I started:

− "It is not easy to know where to start, since it seems that you want to hear me first. But I think that you might guess. I know that my appearance is very strange this morning, but I want to tell you. And I suppose that you know that yesterday I was begging."

− "We know, Nicholas − interrupted me Mr. Weissmann, and with a hostile look, but not addressed to me, he said−. Walter Hope was telling us."

   I then knew clearly that whatever the opinion of the President was towards me, he was then really indignant with Hope, he didn’t like that one of his employees had, let’s say, an attitude of an informer. But I addressed Walter.

− "What you saw me do, Walter, is just what happened at the end of the day. The evening was much longer. And I did it, believe me that I am not ashamed to tell about it, because I was and I am still hungry. I have been 24 hours without eating. And because we beggars have to do it..."

− "First person plural?" −interrupted Norman.

− "First person plural, Norman. Now I know what I am and what I'm going to continue to be, whatever happens here this morning. I just want to give you an explanation, not only because I owe you one but because whether it is possible or not, my intention is still to finish my contract. For my part, you can have the security that I would work with dignity, much more than I had when I came to work drunk. And in this regard, I would like to ask you, if I drink again, do not have mercy on me. Fire me then straight away."

− "Are you sure about that, Nicholas?" −asked then Samuel Weissmann, more stunned, apparently, that angry.

− "Completely sure. The drunken Siddeley has no place here. Nike beggar it depends on what you decide."

−"Then speak. I assure you that we will not at least take any decision without hearing you first."

− "It is very difficult to tell the long day of yesterday not being sure of being able to say something." –I looked at the President imploring him at least one orientation about whether I could say it. He, never taking his mask off at any time, I never knew what he was really thinking, spoke for me.

− "Yesterday I suggested to Nicholas Siddeley to relieve me in the Presidency of the Thuban Star –there was a small chorus of murmurs and many heads of astonishment−. If he had accepted, he would have become the fourth President of this company –he looked at me not meaning to offend−. But he didn't answer."

− "Something told me, Mr. Weissmann, that if I accepted, I would be wrong. I told you in August that I had spent eleven days with seven beggars, and whether you find it likely or not, then I loved them all so much that the night of 6 August I decided to stay with them forever. But for a reason that I won't tell, I knew that it was impossible and I turned. I think that since then I've worked honestly, more than the time when Mr. Siddeley came here every morning drunk. And I did not allow my private life to mix with my responsibilities at the company. But I've spent two months looking forward to see them again. I know that even though I explained it, you would never understand me, but I could not visit them and ignore them later. I needed to be of their same skin, one beggar more, and the eighth to arrive. And I finally was yesterday. Mr. Weissmann knows well that we wanted to discuss his proposal in a meal, but we did not find any room to sit at The Golden Eagle, and we went out to the door and I ran into my friend Luke Prancitt, one of the seven. We went to eat, but we had so many things to tell each other that we never ate. And then I went finally to the Torn Hand. And there I knew that there is no umbrella that can protect you from all the blood that my heart was raining. At that moment I knew it. I want not only to live always with them, but to die with them, to live and to die like them. There I found my own place to sleep. In a tent in the outskirt I slept last night and there I want to sleep from now on every day, the seven by my side. Then I went to the street with Luke Prancitt. We spent a couple of hours in the Basilica and some time in the vicinity. It was where I received my first alms as a beggar: 20 budges, but what my mate and I collected was not enough at the end of the night to get to eat something. One of them told me in the summer –I tried to deviate my look then from Harold Blessing, but I did not quite succeed− that sometimes they were impelled to seek food in the trash, and it was I who proposed such an idea to my mate. He accepted and we did. And it was then when Walter saw me. That is part of our everyday life. And the most ironic is that we did not eat it. Perhaps you saw, Hope, that there were many rats there. So –I tried to finish− I returned hungry to the outskirt. It took me some effort because I was unable to walk, but there was last night my north. And after now every night. This morning with hunger, with deadly cold and without being able to walk I have been assaulted by a thousand temptations and I was about to give up, but a little incident has managed to give me the strength that finally I needed −I was speaking then of that casual crash with a young drunk man and his subsequent words of "get away, you beggar −. And in that way, although I could not explain, finally, after a long battle of two months, finally I know who I am. I am the beggar Nike."

− "And what do you want, beggar Nike? −asked Harold− would you like our customers to have an interview with you after you may have been given alms the previous evening in the Basilica?"

− "They could not know who I am. I imagine that I will recover my ability to walk. This morning I have not been able to have a shower and change clothes for not being able to reach Deanforest, and because I wanted to tell you all I did yesterday and I'm going to continue to do. But on Monday, even if I break my feet or have to get up two hours earlier I will."

− "But, if as you say −said Thaddeus−, this will be definitive, it does not seem to make much sense. You'd have to choose either the streets or the Thuban. Imagine having customers wanting to have an interview with you this morning. The Thuban has enough prestige to lose it because someone sees you with your current appearance."

− "I assure you that this would not happen again. As soon as I can go to Deanforest, I'll bring clean clothes that I would introduce in my office. You would only have to give me a key for access to the showers. Finally and at last I will give you an answer, Mr. Weissmann. I neither can nor want to be the President. And I understand that I can’t be something similar to Vice President. I want to be here until my contract ends at least, but just as a simple worker. And if necessary, with a lower work. And I am willing to renegotiate my conditions. May I speak about them?"

− "Is it that we will have to raise your salary?" −asked Walter, unable to conceal his dislike.

− No, Walter. I'd like to continue to be your director of economic planning, but if I could we should talk about salary and conditions. You all know that I am an extremely wealthy man. I have enough money to live all my life. And that separates me from the people I love most in this world. I should do like them and give up everything, but I shall go slowly and wisely enough, because I do not know what the world might have in store for me tomorrow."

− "Do you not realize, Nike, that they want your money?" –said Norman with the force of a hostile battering ram.

− No, Norman. Think of me whatever you want. Think that I am naive. But I am not going to make them an injustice. None of the seven wants my money. They like me, just as I am. Let me tell you that you do not know them. But to the slight repetition of such innuendo, I will continue fighting for them."

− "Propose your conditions, Nicholas." –I don’t need to tell you that it was Samuel Weissmann. He was the only one who would call me Nicholas.

− "Without too much effort on my part, I've come to having a fortune. Difficult it would be for me to renounce to all I have, but more difficult it would be that the flow of money goes on. And I know that it is not usual that a beggar has my job. That is what I intend: to continue working here until the end of my contract, but for free, so that I would work earning nothing in this company. I don't want any salary."

− "Nicholas, we need to know the opinion of all and probably we will have to vote later. But if you continue working here, that salary, 0 dains, it seems to me that it might increase."

− "It could be increased with one or two coffees each morning at the bar. Forbidden alcohol. And nothing else. If I get money on the street, I will eat something, but with what I can bring. If it's another day like today in which I failed to bring anything, I will not even eat."

− "You will be too cheap for us, Nicholas. You know that at some time the dining room opens. You could enter and ask for what you want."

− Thank you, Mr. Weissmann. But even if I know that I can do it, I'm not going to do it. I have to be very strict with food."

− "So your conditions are, if I've not misunderstood, let me recap: 0 dains of salary. To be paid for one or two coffees at the bar. A key to the showers. Did I forget something?"

− "You did not forget anything, Mr. Weissmann."

− "Excuse me this question, Nicholas, but what commitment on your part can we have that you will fulfill your contract?"

− "Total commitment, Mr. Weissmann. I think that now I am a man of integrity. If I did not believe it, I would not be here having the impertinence to plead to be allowed to continue to do my job. And if I do not fulfill, I will ask the company to take legal action against me."

− "Do not keep entering more cul-de-sacs, Nike −said Anne-Marie−. I honestly think that no one here doubts your integrity. On more than one occasion you've already shown it. Let no one forget –she continued struggling for me− this man we could be voting now as President. And not only says he no to be, but he talks about awful working conditions that no worker would accept."

− "All that is very well −said Thaddeus−, but we continue with the same problem. Nike should renounce to be a beggar and right now we would assure him that his work is still here. But in his current condition, he would give a poor image to this company."

− "I won't give up being a beggar, Thaddeus."

− "Damn, Nike. At the end you will end up doing as my nephew −said Harold− and you will leave us. What confidence can we have in a man who makes a living also begging in the Basilica?"

− "I wouldn’t get rid of a man like Nicholas so easily −surprised as a whip the voice of the President−. He is absolutely necessary to us and now he has sworn, and I believe in his word, that he would always work with dignity and without getting drunk. And I would also remind you of a mere question of numbers. If we look at the profits of the company in August and September, we could say that the Thuban Star has tripled them with respect to the previous months. We earn more with Nicholas and now he wants to work for free. For any company it would be a bargain to have a man like him. And risk-free. When he changes clothes and has a shower, no one will know what he was doing the previous evening, as I don't know if any of you yesterday went to the cinema or stayed home. And if you check your bank account, you will notice it has increased significantly these two months, so that if I am not mistaken –he looked at Thaddeus− any of you has recently afforded to buy a luxury car."

   Those words seemed to have effect in Thaddeus Barrymore, who did not blush but began to look at me as if he shared the opinion of the President that my presence on the Thuban was essential so that I will increase his profits.

− "And we are now going to vote" -said Samuel Weissmann. The time of my trial would come. But my dear Anne-Marie spoke first.

− "Let us all vote then according to conscience. Nike Siddeley is an extraordinary human being, but at the moment I want to say something about his financial capacity, which will be the only thing that interests to the company, what you should seriously ponder before saying your vote. Our director of economic planning has no substitute. If he is fired, we will spend years searching in vain who replaces him. He handles our business with a huge financial talent. And mainly remember all what Mr. Weissmann said: he can make everyone richer without us having to pay him anything. And at least I will say this on his other personality: If one day I no longer see him here I will continue going to see him as a beggar, but at least while he continues working in the Thuban Star, he will have a place to stay if one day he regrets. We don't have anything to lose but much to win. And even though it is only for his extraordinary work made, if you do not want to take into account his huge human value; our coworker Nicholas Martin Siddeley deserves it."

− Thank you, Anne-Marie." –I answered really moved.

− "Let us vote." said then the President.

   The vote was finally going to be by a show of hands. It was strange to be there waiting for a ruthless verdict which would finally tell me what I was going to do with my life. Everything seemed unreal to me. It was like sitting in a chair waiting for the screening of a documentary about my future path. In yesterday’s film I had seen myself as an emperor of Newchapel. Today I was just a fish between the teeth of some ruthless sharks that would crush me unless they soon found a greater or more attractive prey. Mr. Weissmann announced that first they should raise hand who did not want me to be there. They raised their hands without any hesitation Harold Blessing and Walter Hope, and soon also Norman Wrathfall. I was waiting for Thaddeus to raise it too, for he seemed to have the clear intention to do so, but ultimately did not do so. Finally there were three sharks which wanted my flesh. But to decide to devour me or not now had to vote those who wanted me to remain in the Thuban Star with my new conditions. Anne-Marie of course raised her hand immediately and without hesitation instantly I saw also Samuel Weissmann voting in my favour. Strange man! In the last two days any fate that would accompany me from now on seemed inevitably linked to his will. They were just a few seconds before I saw the face of Thaddeus Barrymore as a smokescreen of doubts which starts drawing back to reveal a window showing a clear day of certainties. Decisively, he raised his hand in my favor. Three and three. In the faces of everyone you could read "and what now?"

− "What are we supposed to do now, Mr. Weissmann?" –Walter finally dared to ask.

− "Perhaps we should go on talking to try to convince someone to change his vote" -said Harold looking crossly at Thaddeus. So clearly that he replied.

− "I will not change my vote, Harold. It cost me to make up my mind but I have finally made an irrevocable decision."

   I hope that you never repent, Thaddeus, I thought. I had seen him staring at Anne-Marie when she had made her allegation in my defense and I had hoped that she had convinced him for financial reasons and moved him enough to be somewhat influenced by the human factor.

− "In these cases, it is very difficult for the President to know what the right thing is. And more when I think that the vote of any of us is immovable. So I think that the only thing that can be done is to be fully democratic in the Board of Directors. Six of us voted, but here we are seven. We have not allowed to vote our yet coworker Nicholas Siddeley."

   It was unprecedented that the sharks would leave their prey to decide freely, but I already noticed that their teeth were not gripping, that I could begin to be free and swim in liberty where I would like to. Now more than ever I could only think that whatever it was soon I would be again with Luke in the Basilica. But I had to speak:

− "I do not know for what reason would you accept a beggar to work at the Thuban Star. I can't do anything but reiterate my commitment to be completely honest to the end of my contract and think for the benefit of all of you. Once I have said this, I am not gonna change now my motives or what I've said before: my intention was to follow here and if that actually depends on my vote, I decide to stay."

− "Then finally it has been four votes to three −said Mr. Weissmann−. If someone seems this to be unfair, let him hold a conference with me in my office. But I don't want to reopen this debate every week. So it is established that Nicholas Siddeley will remain at the company at least until the end of his contract, next June. And after this period, I will personally try to convince him to continue with us −and now addressing me, he went on−. I hope that you understand, Nicholas, your decision, which I respect, compels me to follow some time here until I am able to take decisions upon who is to substitute me. You can return to your office. In a very short time, I will bring you a key of the showers. But although you will enter immediately to have one, your appearance would change very little. So you can have a bureaucratic day, but today you will not receive any customer. It doesn't matter much. If on Monday you can’t walk either to your house, there will be a car to take you there. If you can move smoothly, you will bring several spare parts of clean clothes. If you can't, I will take you up there to do it. But that will be on Monday. Today, I will pass through your office sometimes. I want to talk to you later in private. And nothing else. Remember all that the Board of Directors has allowed Nicholas Siddeley to continue here. Now we move on to discuss other outstanding issues."

   We were gathered for nearly one hour. In my double condition of beggar and director of economic planning, it was very difficult to know if I should speak. But they had decided to keep me and barely, as a member of the Board, I dared to give some indication, at least some guidance to those who would still make money on what seemed to me the best way to succeed with dignity, without hurting anyone. So I spoke little, but I spoke, facing them to the consequences that they would have allowed me to stay there after all. Walter and Harold surrounded me with constant sour looks and some blame, calling me sometimes beggar Nike as if that were to hurt me, when in fact from then on it has always been a flattery. About half past ten ended my first Board as a beggar. And we left. My intention was to walk as best I could to the bar and report to Richard what the situation was. But in the corridor, opposite my office, Anne-Marie came to me and held me in her arms with such tenderness that I broke down. Not knowing if it would be convenient, I kissed her mouth after two months.

− "Thank you Nike." −she said with sincere tears.

− "Thank you, Anne-Marie.  My God! I do not want to hurt you again. You know that I do not love you, but I want to assure you that I'll always appreciate you. You are necessary in my life."

− "You know what? It took me a long time to learn something as simple as that no one is guilty of his feelings. And to have seen you do all that you've done this morning joins me to you. I apologize because I know that I have not quite respected you. But from now on, be what you want to be; now you will definitely have my support. And I'll always be by your side wherever you live and whatever you do. Do not answer me. I know that at this time you can't find the words to answer me and I don't need them. You’d better answer to this question. Are you going to your office or elsewhere?"

− "It seems that with everyone I'm transparent. But better like that. I will not ever make any attempt to hide anything. I was going to the bar to tell Richard what has happened."

− "It will take you more than half an hour to go down to the bar, tell him and come up again. You've managed to be still working here. Now you must not be reckless. I myself now will go to Richard and tell him what has happened, and you can talk to him when it is time to leave."

  It was so agreed. I went back to my office and sat down. So many things had happened since the last time I was there inside that though it was only 24 hours since the last time I saw it, I was surprised by its neat and tidy appearance. The armchair, the table, the files, everything reminded me that there still was some systematization in that which no longer was my life. I was seated for a very short time. Even though I could not walk, all the emotions of all the last few hours made me stand up again. I went a while to look out of the window. I could now see Vicar’s End from upstairs. It was short since I had been sitting in a dirty doorway surrounded by containers and cold, without being sure of being able to look at it again from my office. But with the effort at least of an entire day I had managed to retain up and down, and my life had to necessarily move in that elevator.

   I retired from the window and I went to sit down, just in time, because just then came into my office Samuel Weissmann.

− "Here are the keys to the showers, Nicholas. Don’t go today. You're not as dirty as that to be essential and the important thing is that your feet rest all the time that it is possible. But I bring you something else. Nothing new; it is the usual thing: the harbour asking us for more steel. And you're still the director of economic planning and you should take a look at these papers before I come to ask your opinion –he was going to say something, but he didn’t−. Don’t say anything now. I have so much work this morning that I still cannot have a necessary conversation with you. But I'll be back. Wait for me at 1."

   And there I was waiting for him, knowing that after the sentence by the Board of Directors, surely I had to wait for another sentence from my President. I tried to concentrate on the reading of the papers that he had given me. I could not. It was not the constant anxiety of knowing that my future was not yet entirely clear. It was very difficult to focus your attention on something with an empty stomach and how unusual I was to that feeling. I could be invited by Richard or go to the dining room. I supposed that if I had the temptation it would be permitted within my new salary. I resisted, but the result was a mind unable to leave it fixed in the projects of the company. Mr. Weissmann came at a quarter to one. I saw him enter with a bowl of soup.

− "Nicholas. The dining room was open and I brought this, precisely soup because, well... If you want to consider it so, it is not exactly food. Look at it rather as something to drink with some food, or just a necessary restorative to give you strength."

   It was obvious my face of protest.

−“Thank you, Mr. Weissmann. I don't want to be rebellious, but I would prefer not to have anything. I cannot explain it otherwise, and I do not think that it is enough for you, but I haven’t deserved it."

− "What you have deserved is to continue working here. But that won’t be good for you if you don't eat. You have my approval and you had my vote in favour. But I could not convince the others if hunger prevents you to concentrate on your work."

− "Of course I would like to eat something. The mere smell of the soup makes my stomach rebel and with its rebellion the entire inner struggle that I have had in the past 24 hours would not be enough. Forgive me, Mr. Weissmann, but I don't know what they would do in my place."

− "They, Nicholas, your fellow mates, would not want you to be hungry. The very Luke Prancitt yesterday accepted your invitation to eat. And if this is not enough, think. In a short time you'll be back with them in your outskirt. Everyone will know that yesterday you didn’t get any food. Little as they can give you, something they will have for you, and I suppose that what they offer you will accept."

− "I would accept. Of them I would. Sorry if I seemed brusque, I didn’t want to offend you."

− "Then I would have to see if I can somehow gain your friendship."

− "Forgive me, Mr. Weissmann. But are you really interested in the friendship of a beggar?"

− "Nicholas, answer me honestly. I guess that also you will think, like everyone else, I wear a mask."

− "It is what I thought, sorry."

− "Maybe you don't believe it, but it is the first time in many years that someone has the courage to tell me. I wear a mask because it seems to me absolutely essential. You know all of my employees; do you really think that I could make friends with any of them? Or with Nicholas Siddeley of very recently? A mask protects your face from any attack, but under the mask I can be who knows?... even a simple man."

− "Mr. Weissmann, could you then call me Nike, as everybody does? You are now the only one who keeps calling me Nicholas."

− "Don't you like your name?"

− "I have nothing against Nicholas as a name. Even I like it a bit. I object to the man who I have been under that name. And on the other hand all those who love me a little have called me always Nike."

− "Then would you dare to call me Samuel, or have a little more courage and call me only Sam?"

− "Okay, Samuel" −I dared for the first time to use his first name.

− "Nike −I shuddered to hear my President at last call me by my true name−, I want to talk to you of more things, but before answer me, please: would you eat?"

− "I will now, Samuel. You have just made a real effort to let me see who you are and show me that you want the friendship of a beggar. If I didn’t eat now, I would be an ungrateful friend."

   I started having the soup then in his presence. Would it be possible that among the many goods obtained in one day I would also have the friendship of Samuel Weissmann?

− "You see, Nike. A friendship does not begin without real respect. We will talk about the many work issues that we must talk about on Monday. But now I want to talk to the beggar and the truth is that with your miserable salary well you have gained today to have an almost free day.  I heard you say this morning, I think that literally, “for a reason that I am not going to say" and I understood that that reason, whatever it was, had prevented you to stay with them in August, is it so?"

   One reason. One circumstance... oh, Luke! We should soon have a sincere conversation. Samuel is taking off his mask. I've gotten rid of some, but the most important still remains and it must be so beautiful feeling one day the breeze caressing you in a naked face.

− "It is that, Samuel.” –I dared to answer. I didn't know if he would still need a beggar friend once I would have unmasked me. But I didn't feel fear. If I had to say it once again, as whenever appeared Luke’s name, I could only feel pride.

− "I don't truly know if it would be right to continue poking around in your intimacy, but I cannot hope to be your friend if you cannot tell me the things that most occupy your heart. And in any case, whatever you want to tell me, it would only be, first, if you want to tell, and second, being sure that Samuel Weissmann as your boss would never fire you for an answer."

− "Go on. I would answer you. I am only waiting to know what the question is."

− "I do not know your fellow mates. But yesterday I had the luck that you introduced me to one. In Luke Prancitt’s face I could see how much he looked forward to see you again and how much you like him. But looking at your face, I could see that you like him a lot but that at the same time you fear him."

− "Luke Prancitt is a great friend. Rather than fear him, I fear his reaction at a given time."

− "That is what I thought. And therefore it is bold to ask you this, I know, but I think that he is precisely the reason why you did not stay there in August."

− "The reason why I did not stay there then was Luke, yes. And Lucy, his wife. And Paul, the son of both, whom we call the little king."

− "I did not know that he was married and he was a father. But perhaps that explains it better, because then..." −he looked at me with a clear indecision. He did not dare to continue.

− "Dare to ask the question, Samuel."

− "Fear not, Nike. It is ok. I will dare ask. If the reason is Luke Prancitt, if you like him so much but you did not feel able to stay there, only of a circumstance I can think of –he breathed deeply but in the end he said−: that you have fallen in love with Luke Prancitt. Or with his wife."

− "I fell deeply in love with him just when I met him. I could not stay there because my presence would be just a stain for the whole family, and I would never be able to tell you how much I like Lucy and the little king. They would be better off without me. I thought so until yesterday. To see him again was not only to remember my love, which I have never forgotten, but an intense desire to be back with them and embrace them. Not having fallen in love, I would be the eighth beggar since August. Well, Samuel, now you know it."

− "Nike, one day you can tell me freely about the eight who you are. I just know you and Luke. And I have got references to Luke’s wife, Lucy I believe that you have called her, the former worker of the Thuban Star, John Richmonds, and his partner Miguel. McDawn, if I am not mistaken. His firm continues to deal with us. Nike, I do not know if to tell you that I respect you would be sufficient. I would prefer to give you a hug."

   And then we hugged with absolute sincerity. Who would say that only with the truth one begins to gain friends even in the most unexpected places. My sincere friendship with Samuel began that morning and I can tell you, Protch, that we are still friends.

− "Thank you, Samuel. And if we are going to be friends I'd like to ask you about your life. If I do not do so soon, it would happen to me as with Richard. I'm so focused on the people who I like that I always talk about me."

− "We will have very little time today. One other day you will allow me to invite you to a meal, but this time we will not talk about business. I’d rather you told me who you are."

− "You already know directly or by references five of us. The other three are two women and a man. My fellow mates Mistress Oakes, and Olivia, Lucy's mother and the little king’s grandmother. The other man is my fellow mate and friend Bruce."

− "Luke Prancitt likes you a lot. That is clear enough. And I meant it yesterday when I told you that I'd like us one day to eat all three together. But at the moment I'm really interested in eating alone with him. And do not be afraid. You would never be betrayed. Do you think he would accept me to invite him to lunch?"

− "I don't know if he would accept. I can only say one word, cryptic even for me, who am a newcomer: codes. But I can tell you that Luke has a good opinion of you. Maybe he agrees."

− "Talk to him, and if he accepts, ask him to come here on Monday. At 1 too. And I will give orders that day so that any beggar is let in on Monday."

− "You have just let in one here a few hours ago. Thank you, Samuel. Sincerely. Before you go –for he was already standing up−, you see: we beggars are sometimes in a strange mood and today my heart has reasons for spilling in true gratitude. A summer day they gave me two stars. This morning I thought, while I was talking to Richard, of giving him one. I would like to soon find another one that does homage to Anne-Marie. And a third one for you. Samuel, do you want a star?"

− "Dear Nike. One day one comes quietly to work and first sees that one of his employees has become a beggar. Then all morning he feels the desire to know him and give him his friendship. Previously you heard me say that I would not get rid of a man like Nicholas so easily. Now, calling you by the name you want to be called and wanting to do you true justice, I would say otherwise: I would not get rid of a man like Nike so easily. I am very old already. But it is a pleasure to have met you. And you decide if you want to really give me a star. I will accept it with pleasure."

− "The symbol of your country is the eagle, right?"

− "The bald eagle more specifically, yes, why?"

− "There's a constellation nearly above the ecliptic, called Aquila, near Capricorn. Do not worry. If one day you are interested, I could explain you the best I know, still very little, about that of the ecliptic. But it would be right for you to receive its brightest star: Altair, of the Eagle."


  An eagle probably sent by Zeus to transport his beautiful Ganymede to Mount Olympus, beautiful bird of the skies of summer which already took Nike to fly to the starry south. This October 5 Nike started to be the star giver. One for Richard, another one for Samuel Weissmann, Altair, brilliant jewel of the summer Eagle, a second vertex of the summer triangle.


 

− "I think that it is still visible. At the beginning of the night. If not, you will have to wait until June. If you know where the south is, look there. It is very bright and you'll recognize it. And if you don’t, I would bring you a book that John has given me which will help you recognize Altair, from today your star."

− "Nike −he was at the door now−, with Altair or without it, it would be a pleasure for me really to continue to count on your friendship. I am glad that you are loved by the seven. I am glad that you are loved by Anne-Marie. You know that in this company everything is a rumour. So I know that you were a couple formerly. Now I also understand why you are no longer. And I'm glad of your friendship with Richard Protch".

   He was already going out when I had to call him back, almost shouting. One syllable had startled me.

− "Samuel, one second, please. Forgive me, but did you say Richard Protch? Have I heard well? Is that his surname?"

− "You will understand that I have to know the name of all my employees. And those of the bar also are. I can assure you the waiter you like so much is called Richard Protch. Why?"

− "That surname is not very frequent, is it? And I met a Protch before, someone I love dearly. I will ask Richard if he knows him. Thank you, Samuel, for everything."

− "You can finish your work for today. Go to the bar, talk to him and explain to him that you can already get a coffee, for it is part of your new salary. With total sincerity I say: it is for me an absolute pleasure to know you, Nike."

− "For me too. See you on Monday, Samuel."

   One almost free day, he had said. So it was that October 5 on the Thuban, but yet I had carried out the main work: to fight for the two worlds to be still open for me. The following Monday, I promised, I would already come to the company being the usual worker. With this momentum, it was less difficult than expected to reach the bar. Richard was there waiting for me with his best smile, wanting to embrace me.

− "A coffee, Richard. You don't need to invite me anymore. It is part of my salary."

–“I know. Anne-Marie was here a couple of hours ago. And I call her thus, because she asked me specifically to be called by her name. And as I will not invite you to this coffee, will you let me invite you to something to accompany it?"

− "Next day I will accept it gladly, believe me. But today it is no longer necessary. Samuel has just invited me to a soup. And I call him thus –I smiled− because he has asked me specifically to be called by his name. What a strange day, Richard. I should have lost, but I continually win."

− "Then you can now tell me in more detail what happened yesterday or what exactly has happened this morning."

− "I'm still keeping my job and I could tell you all that another day. I really wanted to see you for another reason. After two months this question you will find completely stupid, but tell me, please, your name is actually Richard Protch?"

− "It is, Nike. My name is Richard Protch –his look fixed in me was then another resplendent stained-glass which wanted to enlighten me on what he always had known and I still didn’t−. And now that you know, what is specifically what you want to ask me?"

− "I think you have a rare surname, but I have met someone earlier who shares it.  So the question is: do you know Herbert Protch?"

− "Herbert Protch is my cousin. And his wife is called Maude, who you have always called Maudie. They have been a lifetime with your family and were serving you in Deanforest."

− "Why haven’t you told me before?"

− "I found a job at the Thuban Star because Herbert told me that you had told him that waiters were needed. Here I soon saw that they called you all Nike, just like them, but then you and I didn’t speak and you were for me then only the employee Nicholas Siddeley. These two months we have discussed many necessary things and it was not the time for me to speak to you of my cousin. Anyway, the day you told me that you had fired your servants, I was about to tell you, but if you remember soon we talked about other things."

− "They left Deanforest because they were going to take care of an uncle called, if I am not mistaken, Aurélien."

− "Aurélien Protch is my father. Nike, you've told me many things. Let me be honest now. Only I have confessed that I was in jail. There was where I met Sarah, my wife, who as you know, is twenty years younger than me."

− "How old are you, Richard?"

− "50 years old. My cousin Herbert is 14 more than I. You see, I was in jail for fraudster. Sarah was there for a matter of drugs. Both of us are already-rehabilitated or I would not be telling you all these things."

− "You know that you have my respect, Richard."

− "My father has got a rare chronic disease. Although I name it you must have never previously heard it. When I went into prison, he stayed a while in charge of a cousin, also Herbert’s cousin. Suddenly the doctors diagnosed a tumor. He was supposed to live short. And it was then that Herbert and Maude moved to Orléans. But the doctors were wrong. My father had a stroke and has recovered. Only a sequel in the language, at times almost unintelligible. And then little remains to tell. When I got out of the prison I brought him here from Orléans. And since then he has lived in my house. If you come one day there, you will know him."

− "How are Herbert and Maude?"

− "Like I really know that your interest in them comes from the heart, I will not tell with circumlocutions. But they are almost broke. They lost the money they won at the service of the Siddeley in disastrous investments. They had promised them an economic miracle and it was all a scam."


 

−I can see that you really want to talk about your cousin Rich. So you named him when I was telling you Olivia’s story, do you remember? Thank you for your patience.

−I spent three years imagining mad theories about what could have happened to Mr. Siddeley. What I could not imagine was that it would have been enough to ask my cousin.

−He would never have told you, because he respected my request not to tell you anything. Of the house, we'll talk some other day. But that morning, knowing your situation, I thought for the first time to give you Deanforest. I had only been one day as a beggar, and I thought, you know well why, that maybe I would still need it. But that October 5, I gave myself a month. If more or less for 5 November my reality with Luke had not clarified, I could easily buy another place to live, and Deanforest would be yours. Richard informed me every day of your circumstances. If I am not mistaken, in the hands of your cousin Louise you could be another month. But definitely I was not going to leave you abandoned.

−Nike, I don't know if one day you will allow me at last to thank you.

−You thank me every day with your interest to listen to me, your undeniable affection for my seven fellow mates. Other thanks would overwhelm me because they would be given to a man that is not myself anymore. Let me ask you another thing, nothing important, but I am curious. I'm coming to tell you my story from the 14th February. The previous night, day 13, I saw you crying at Rivers' Meet. Were you coming perhaps of St Alban's Road to see Richard?

− My cousin Rich; Sarah, his wife; his children Armand and Crystelle and my uncle Aurélien. It has been very difficult for me not to stop you whenever you mentioned their names.

−I had to respect the chronological order, Protch. I would have been telling you perhaps a very different story if before that 5 October I had known something as simple as that the man in the bar, already my friend, was called Richard Protch. One day we'll talk of Deanforest. But I can now say something that long ago I am urged to tell you. I could not, do you understand? Just give it to you and ignore you. I should have come here before, and I would have, if it was not because I was always informed of your health and your situation. And I had two ways of knowing. On the one hand, Richard, who spoke to me of his cousin and his wife every day since then. And the second source of information was Bruce, who often came here to greet you. Due to him I also knew that you would not have problems in receiving a beggar one day. I should have come much earlier. I did not, forgive me, because I found it impossible to be received as the beggar Nike and not as Mr. Siddeley. Now I know that I was wrong.


 

− "Tell me about your cousin every day." −I was still pleading Richard.

− "Nike, soon I will really go to the Torn Hand. I think you want me to be the first to visit you. Then surely you will want to come one day to my house to meet my wife, my children and my father."

− "Amen, my friend. I promise to go soon; it is so agreed. Now I hope that you accept me a star. Samuel I have given one before you, but yours I thought first because of some words which you told me this morning –it was then when I gave him the star Deneb, of the Swan−. Now I really must go. I will take a bus due to the invitation of a super friend. And I can finally tell you what I haven’t been able to tell you these past two months: I go home."

   My house also had a room there, in Avalon Road, looking luxurious but inhabited by some simple hearts. It is a pleasure to stroll through a few corridors where can be seen the best of their owners: Anne-Marie, Richard and Samuel. Now I was out in search of a bus that I knew would leave me at Alder Street, very near Millers' Lane. I did not go to Deanforest to look for an alarm clock and other necessary things. I would leave it for tomorrow and meanwhile I would continue relying on Luke’s internal clock.

   I never was in good condition to walk if I wanted to see them there, my family already, moving freely, breathing the earthy landscape, plain and vegetal, the burning ground of our bedrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment